2009-11-13

Game box project: Material List

I am starting a new project to make a travel game board out of an Altoids tin. The first step - which is as far as I've gotten - is to start assembling materials. Here is what I have deduced so far:
  • An Altoids tin - This will form the case to hold all the bits and pieces, as well as being the sturdy surface on which the game will be played.
  • Magnets - The magnets will be mounted inside the tin, as a means of keeping the pieces in place on the board. I ordered a bunch of NdFeB ("rare earth") magnets from eBay, where I was able to find the size/shape I wanted, for a good price, with free shipping.
  • Pieces - This is the current puzzle. I figure something like screws will work best, as they'll be about the right size (small enough to fit, large enough to grab) and ferro-magnetic (i.e. stick to magnets), but I haven't had a chance to pour through the aisles of hardware/craft stores to see what's available.
  • Extra metal - I'm toying with ideas for making the box even more multi-function, but have to play with a few Altoid tins and lids to see what will work best. If nothing else, I'll want a metal plate covering the magnets in the bottom of the tin to keep everything else separate.
  • Paint - cool as it may or may not be, I don't plan to leave the original Altoids paint job on the tin. I'm going to scrub it and repaint it, then probably lacquer it for a sturdyish finish.
  • Alternate boards - at this point I don't know whether the alternate boards will be printed on card stock and then laminated, or whether I'll cut multiple metal pieces and paint the boards on them. But I'll either need card stock (got it) or metal (maybe got it). The metal will hold up longer. The card stock will be easier to produce.


BTW, does anyone know if Altoids sells tins anymore that aren't embossed? If not I'll have to try taking a hammer to one and see if I can pound the embossing out without screwing up the shape.

To see more about this project, check out the rest of my game tin project posts.

No comments: